Holistic Management® Farming & Grazing Courses
with Kirk Gadzia and Rob Havard
October 2016 (dates & venues still to be confirmed)
3-day Introduction to Holistic Management® & Advanced Holistic Management® courses
Feedback from years of running these courses is that attendees want a balanced approach to the information delivered where all of the elements of HM are covered succinctly and effectively. The HMFG courses include a 3-day introductory course which starts with the Ten Principles of HM, followed by the Water and Mineral Cycles, Community Dynamics and Energy Flow. Financial, grazing & ecosystem management tools are described and evaluated in the context of a developed Holistic Goal with a regime of Testing Decisions prescribing how best to make very conclusive and well thought out plans of action.
Grazing Planning is described, this being the greatest application of HM for most attendees, with time spent both indoors and outdoors generating time controlled grazing plans and learning about related practices.
The Advanced courses are still to be finalised but we envisage them going into more depth on Financial and Land Planning, including the various land use and fencing options available.
Holistic Management® is an animal and land management practice that mimics nature to benefit both grazing stock and biodiversity. Graziers across the world have discovered that they can increase production of their herds while also improving water and mineral cycles of environments under a Holistic Management regime. Pioneered by Allan Savory more than 40 years ago, it offers land stewards a way to make grazing, land management and financial decisions that positively impact land health and productivity. Many now consider this type of grazing management to be the single most beneficial technique for restoring both profits and biodiversity to independent grazing operations. Overgrazing is a function of time, NOT animal numbers. Damage occurs when the plant is trying to grow but an animal keeps eating it again.
Why Holistic Management®?
Holistic Management® is most easily defined by simply adding W to the word holistic. This describes what the process does - helps us manage Whole situations rather than perceived parts. Managing the whole gives better results and fewer unexpected problems. Many publications today are filled with gloomy forecasts about agriculture and the environment, yet few offer any realistic solutions that strengthen both our economy and communities. To reverse this trend we must do it with the people already on the land. Holistic Management gives human values a priority, while creating profit through proven financial planning procedures and ecosystem enhancement techniques.
Learn How To:
MANAGE FOR PROFIT
- Eliminate unnecessary costs
- Create new wealth from your resources
- Plan and achieve a profit
- Analyze new and existing enterprises for their contribution to the entire operation
- Increase production on your land
- Why most people actually plan for non-profitability and what the three keys are to reversing this tendency
MANAGE FOR LAND HEALTH
- How to "Leave it better than you found it"
- Improve rainfall effectiveness, increase production and regenerate soil health
- Enrich plant and wildlife diversity
- Reduce dependency on outside inputs
- Create a detailed grazing plan that enhances both your production and landscape goals
MANAGE FOR PEOPLE
- Set realistic goals and achieve your desired quality of life
- Improve family and employee harmony and involvement
- Prepare for managed succession of the business into the next generation
- Learn leadership skills that create true involvement
- Understand the key communication skills that lead to effective management
Upon completion of the introductory course you can expect to have a working knowledge of how to use the Holistic Management® model to achieve your goals. Understanding and managing the ecosystem is stressed, as well as the tools available to you to influence your financial, land and people resources. The advanced courses deepen this knowledge with case studies, worked examples and the opportunity to work on your own plan.
For more details (places are limited, so book early) please contact:
Natasha: 07866 674205 or email